Sunday, November 4, 2012

My ways and his ways


We were coming back from a daddy-children outing. Just the three of us. Anna was really tired and hungry. She was really looking forward to getting home and asked me how long it would take. I told her that we were really close. Somewhat relieved she asked: "4 minutes?" She knew that 4 minutes was not too much time, because when she gets time out it lasts 4 minutes. I told her "no, only about 2". She started to cry and told me that she could not wait for so long. When we got close enough for her to recognize the neighborhood, she rejoiced and started to count: "4, 5, 6, 7...". I was telling her what she wanted to hear but she did not understand me because she did not have a correct understanding of time.

Then I thought that it was funny how a similar dynamic could be present in and adult's relationship with God: I pray for something or ask for a special grace and I am not given the answer I am expecting. I get frustrated, I break down, I question God or even rebel against Him, just to realize later that God's answer was the one I really needed. How foolish of me to question God's love and wisdom! "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, nor are your ways my ways, says the LORD. As high as the heavens are above the earth, so high are my ways above your ways and my thoughts above your thoughts." (Is 55,8-9) If you think about it, really who am I to judge the Lord and his ways? Instead I will be measured by his divine standard.

Isaiah continues: "For just as from the heavens the rain and snow come down and do not return there till they have watered the earth, making it fertile and fruitful, giving seed to him who sows and bread to him who eats, so shall my word be that goes forth from my mouth; it shall not return to me void, but shall do my will, achieving the end for which I sent it." (10-11)

My conversation with God must bear fruit. His word cannot return to him empty. It must achieve the end for which it was sent. Because Jesus is the Word of God, this passage from the Old Testament is elevated into a new dimension: by receiving Jesus, God's Word in the Eucharist, he must transform my life and must become the source of my sanctification and the motor of my actions.

When I receive Jesus, the Word, I will also be more prompt to letting God's word through the Scripture and the Magisterium make me understand his ways. I can then rejoice when He says: "we'll be home in 2 minutes."

1 comment: